Watch the video below for instructions on how to insert a TruSteel infusion set:
View, download, or print the following PDF for illustrated instructions on how to use the TruSteel infusion set:
Closely follow the steps outlined in the TruSteel infusion set instructions and per your health care provider.
NEVER fill tubing while your infusion set is connected to your body. ALWAYS disconnect from your body while filling your tubing.
How to Insert a TruSteel Infusion Set
1. Open packaging and remove the protective cap from the connector needle. Clean the insertion area with an alcohol prep pad or other recommended skin preparation.
2. Hold the connector needle at the point where it connects with the tubing and insert it into the coupling housing. You should hear a click.
3. To attach the infusion set tubing to the t:lock connector on the cartridge, twist the connector clockwise until tight, then twist another quarter of a turn to ensure a secure connection.
4. Fill your tubing according to the instructions detailed in the Tandem Diabetes Care insulin pump user guide. DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body.
5. When filling the tubing, hold the steel needle pointing down. Make sure there is no air in the tubing. Stop after three drops of insulin have appeared from the needle.
6. While holding the retaining wings of the infusion set, carefully remove the backing paper under the needle.
7. Gently twist and pull off the guard from the steel needle.
8. Pinch the skin at your selected insertion area with one hand to help lift the skin away from any muscle tissue.
9. Insert the needle and release the pinched skin.
10. Massage the adhesive tape thoroughly onto your skin. DO NOT attempt to straighten the adhesive if curled.
11. Remove the backing paper from the coupling housing and attach it to a location that allows for easy access.
Note: Ensure that the tubing between the introducer needle and housing is not too tight.
12. Skip the “Fill Cannula” step in the load process, set your Site Reminder for 48 hours, depending on your insulin type, and resume insulin. ALWAYS check glucose levels 1-2 hours after inserting to make sure it’s working properly.
Disconnect your Infusion Set
1. Place your finger in front of the coupling housing, gently squeeze the sides of the connector and pull the connector needle straight out.
2. Insert the circular protective cap into the connector needle.
3. Insert the disconnect cover into the coupling housing.
Reconnect your Infusion Set
1. Remove the protective cap from the connector needle.
2. With the needle pointing down, fill the tubing until you see insulin drop from the needle.
3. Remove the disconnect cover from the coupling housing.
4. Hold the connector needle and insert it into the coupling housing. You should hear a click.