Watch the video below for instructions on how to insert a TruSteel infusion set:
View, download, or print the following PDF for illustrated instructions on how to use the TruSteel infusion set:
Prepare and insert a TruSteel infusion set
- Wash your hands before inserting TruSteel.
- Recommended insertion areas. Do not use an area right next to your previous place of insertion. Please refer to your healthcare provider for infusion site rotation.
- Clean the area of insertion with a disinfectant as directed by your healthcare provider. Be sure the area is dry before inserting TruSteel.
- Remove the circular protective cap from the connector needle, then connect the coupling housing to the tubing. Be sure you have the connector needle right side up, otherwise it will not connect properly.
You should hear a click when it connects.
- Attach the infusion set tubing to the tubing lock connector on the cartridge. Twist clockwise until finger tight and then twist another quarter of a turn to ensure a secure connection.
- Hold the TruSteel infusion set by the retaining wings. Fill the tubing according to the instructions in your Tandem pump user guide.
Make sure you hold the needle pointing down to ensure that insulin does not come in contact with the adhesive backing paper.
Make sure there are no gaps of air in your tubing, to reduce the possibility of interrupted insulin delivery.
NEVER fill tubing while the set is connected to your body.
ALWAYS disconnect before filling your tubing.
- While holding the set by the retaining wings, carefully remove the adhesive backing paper of the infusion set.
- Carefully remove the needle guard by gently pulling it, taking care not to touch the needle itself.
- When inserting the TruSteel needle, create a skin fold in order to reduce the risk of placing the needle in a muscle. To do this, pinch the skin at the insertion site with one hand.
Grasp the retaining wings of the infusion set with the other hand.
Insert the TruSteel needle straight into the skin fold. Press down on the back of the adhesive tape to secure the set to your skin.
- Remove the paper backing from the coupling housing. Attach the coupling housing to a location on your skin that will allow for easy disconnection.
Ensure that the short tail of tubing between the needle and coupling housing is not too tight.
- Because it doesn’t use a separate introducer needle, the TruSteel does not require a cannula fill.
Once the set is inserted, you should skip the “Fill cannula” step in the load process.
Set your site reminder for 24–48 hours, then resume insulin.
Always check your blood sugar two hours after inserting to make sure it’s working properly.
Disconnect a TruSteel infusion set
To disconnect, place a finger on the front of the coupling housing and gently squeeze the sides of the connector needle.
Pull the connector needle straight out from the coupling housing.
Cover the connector needle with the circular protective cap, then insert the disconnect cover into the coupling housing until you hear a click.
Reconnect a TruSteel infusion set
To reconnect your set, remove the circular protective cap.
With the needle pointing down, fill the infusion set until you see insulin drip from the connector needle.
Remember to never fill your tubing unless your set is disconnected.
Remove the coupling housing.
Place your finger in front of the coupling housing and push the connector needle straight in until you hear a click.