Watch the video below for instructions on how to insert the VariSoft infusion set:
View, download, or print the following PDF for illustrated instructions on how to use the VariSoft infusion set:
Closely follow the steps outlined in the VariSoft infusion set instructions and per your health care provider.
NEVER fill tubing while your infusion set is connected to your body. ALWAYS disconnect from your body while filling your tubing.
Prepare and insert a VariSoft infusion set
1. Hold the indented sides of the introducer needle with one hand and gently remove the front backing paper with the other. Note: Clean the insertion area with an alcohol prep pad or other recommended skin preparation.
2. Gently twist and pull off the guard from the needle. Caution: DO NOT touch or bend the introducer needle.
3. Pinch the skin at yourselected insertion area with one hand to help lift the skin away from any muscle tissue.
4. Insert the needle completely and release the pinched skin. This will leave the cannula in the layer of fat just below the skin, but above muscle tissue.
5. Press down on the front portion of the tape to secure the adhesive to your skin.
6. Gently place your finger in front of the clear window, squeeze the grooved sides with your other hand, and pull the introducer needle straight back.
7. If you have trouble removing the introducer needle, try straddling the clear window with two fingers while pulling straight back.
8. Carefully lift the cannula housing to expose the back, and remove the rest of the backing paper.
9. Massage the adhesive tape thoroughly onto your skin. Caution: DO NOT attempt to straighten the adhesive if curled.
10. To attach the infusion set tubing to the t:lock connector on the cartridge, twist the connector clockwise until tight, then twist another quarter of a turn to ensure a secure connection.
11. Remove the protective cap from connector needle.
12. Fill your tubing according to the instructions detailed in the Tandem Diabetes Care insulin pump user guide. Caution: DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body
13. When filling the tubing, hold the connector needle pointing down. Make sure there are no gaps of air in the tubing. Stop after three drops of insulin have appeared. Caution: DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body.
14. Hold the connector needle at the point where it connects with the tubing and with the open notches of the connector needle facing your body, insert it into the cannula housing. You should hear a click.
15. Fill cannula 0.7 units. Caution: ALWAYS check glucose levels 1-2 hours after inserting to make sure it’s working properly.
Disconnect a VariSoft infusion set
1. Place your finger on top of the cannula housing, gently squeeze the grooved sides of the infusion set and pull straight out.
2. Insert the protective cap into the connector needle. Insert the disconnect cover into the cannula housing.
Reconnect a VariSoft infusion set
1. Remove the protective cap from the connector needle. With the needle pointing down, fill the tubing until insulin drops from the needle. Caution: DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body.
2. Remove the disconnect cover from the cannula housing. Hold the connector needle at the point where it connects with the tubing and insert it into the cannula housing. You should hear a click.