The steps for inserting an AutoSoft XC infusion set are almost the same as the following video for the AutoSoft 90 set. There is a slight difference in how you pinch to disconnect the connector needle from the cannula housing, which is covered in the directions and PDF below.
Please view, download, or print the following PDF for illustrated instructions on using the AutoSoft XC infusion set:
Autosoft XC Instructions for Use (PDF) >
Infusion Set Insertion AutoSoftXC Reference Sheet
Closely follow the steps outlined in the AutoSoft XC infusion set instructions and per your health care provider.
NEVER fill tubing while your infusion set is connected to your body. ALWAYS disconnect from your body while filling your tubing.
How to Insert an AutoSoft XC Infusion Set
1. To open, pull the red tape to remove the sterile plastic seal. Remove the paper. DO NOT use if the seal or sterile paper has been broken. Clean the insertion area with an alcohol prep pad or other recommended skin preparation.
2. Remove the lid by pressing the three raised dots on either side of the lid firmly with one hand and lifting the flat tab of the lid with the other hand. DO NOT touch or bend the introducer needle.
3. Unhook the tubing from the notch on the insertion device, then gently unwind the tubing. Stop when you get to the end. Be careful when handling the insertion device to keep from dislodging the cannula housing.
4. To attach the infusion set tubing to the t:lock connector on the cartridge, twist the connector clockwise until tight, then twist another quarter of a turn to ensure a secure connection.
5. Fill your tubing according to the instructions in the Tandem Diabetes Care insulin pump user guide.DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body.
6. When filling the tubing, hold the introducer needle pointing down and hold the tubing straight upwards at the t:lock connector. Make sure there are no gaps of air in the tubing.
7. Stop after three drops of insulin have appeared from the introducer needle.
Note: The approximate fill volumes are 10-15 units for 60 cm tubing, and 20–25 units for 110 cm tubing.
8. Pull up gently on the backing paper to remove it from the adhesive tape. Be careful not to pull the backing paper too hard.
9. Make sure the tubing hangs freely (not in the notch), then grip the lined ridges and pull the spring loader back until you hear a click.
10. Remove the needle guard from the introducer needle by gently twisting and pulling it off.
11. Slide the tubing into the closest notched edge. If the introducer needle is not straight, pain or minor injury may occur during insertion.
12. Prior to insertion, it is critical to verify that the plastic cannula is below the tip of the introducer needle.
13. Simultaneously squeeze the round indentations on both sides of the insertion device to insert.
Note: The triangle inside the insertion device points to the direction the tubing will face.
14. Massage the back of the inserter to secure the adhesive tape onto the skin.
Note: Skipping this step may result in your infusion set falling off early and/or a bent cannula.
15. Hold the white tabs of the insertion device and gently pull back to remove the introducer needle. Massage the tape onto the skin.
16. Fill cannula 0.3 units (6 mm cannulas) or 0.5 units (9 mm cannulas). Put the lid back on the insertion device before disposing. ALWAYS check glucose levels 1-2 hours after inserting to make sure it’s working properly.
Disconnect your Infusion Set
1. Place your finger in front of cannula housing, gently squeeze the sides near the tubing of the connector, and pull the connector needle straight out.
2. Insert the disconnect cover into the cannula housing.
Reconnect your Infusion Set
1. Remove the circular protective cap from the connector needle. If needed, fill the infusion set with the needle pointing down until insulin drops from the needle. DO NOT fill tubing while the infusion set is connected to your body.
2. Remove the disconnect cover. Insert the connector needle into the cannula housing. You should hear a click.