Setting up the Quick Bolus function enables you to deliver a bolus by simply pressing a button. It is a way to deliver a bolus by following beep/vibration commands without navigating through or viewing the pump screen.
The default for the Quick Bolus function is off. Quick Bolus can be set to either units of insulin or grams of carbohydrate. The increment options are 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, and 5.0 units; or 2, 5, 10, and 15 grams of carb.
The quick bolus delivery setting (grams of carbohydrate or units of insulin) is independent of the active Personal Profile bolus setting.
Please follow these steps to set up the Quick Bolus feature on your t:slim X2 insulin pump.
Configure Quick Bolus
1. From the Home screen, tap OPTIONS.
2. Tap My Pump.
3. Tap Pump Settings.
4. Tap Quick Bolus.
5. Tap Increment Type.
6. Tap units of insulin or grams of carbohydrate to select.
7. Tap Increment Amount.
8. Select the preferred increment amount.
NOTE Incrementing Amount: The increment amount is added with each press of the Screen On/Quick Bolus button when delivering a quick bolus.
9. Review entered values and tap [check mark].
10. Confirm Settings.
- Tap [check mark] if entered data is correct.
- Tap [ X ] to go back to make changes.
11. Tap the Tandem logo to return to the Home screen.
Deliver a Quick Bolus
If the Quick Bolus function is turned On, you can deliver a bolus without having to look at the t:slim X2 pump’s screen. Simply use the Quick Bolus Button to deliver your bolus. Quick boluses are delivered as standard boluses (there is no BG entry or extended bolus).
PRECAUTION: ALWAYS look at the screen to confirm correct programming of the bolus amount when you first use the Quick Bolus feature. Looking at the screen will ensure that you are correctly using the beep/vibration commands to program the intended bolus amount.
1. Press and hold the Screen On/Quick Bolus button. The Quick Bolus screen will appear. Listen for two beeps (if sound volume is set to beep) or feel for vibrations (if sound volume is set to vibrate).
2. Press the Screen On/Quick Bolus button for each increment until desired amount is reached. The pump will beep/vibrate for each button press.
3. Wait for the pump to beep/vibrate once for each increment pressed to confirm desired amount.
4. After the pump beeps/vibrates, press and hold the Screen On/Quick Bolus button for several seconds to deliver the bolus.
NOTE: Safety features
If you want to cancel the bolus and return to the Home Screen, tap CANCEL on the QUICK BOLUS screen.
If more than 10 seconds have passed with no input, the bolus is canceled and never delivered.
You cannot exceed the Max Bolus setting defined in your active Personal Profile when using the Quick Bolus feature. Once you reach the Max Bolus amount, a different tone will sound to notify you (if Quick Bolus is set to vibrate, the pump will stop vibrating in response to additional button presses to notify you). Look at the screen to confirm the bolus amount.
You cannot exceed 20 button presses when using the Quick Bolus feature. Once you reach 20 button presses, a different tone will sound to notify you (if Quick Bolus is set to vibrate, the pump will stop vibrating in response to additional button presses to notify you). Look at the screen to confirm the bolus amount.
If you hear a different tone at any point during programming or the pump stops vibrating in response to button presses, look at the screen to confirm the bolus amount. If the Quick Bolus screen does not display the correct bolus amount, use the touchscreen to enter bolus information.