The Extended Bolus feature allows you to deliver part of the bolus now and part of the bolus slowly over a period of up to 8 hours (up to 2 hours if Control-IQ technology is turned on). This can be helpful for high-fat meals such as pizza or if you have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying).
When extending a bolus, any correction bolus amount will always be given in the DELIVER NOW portion. Talk with your healthcare provider to determine if this feature is appropriate for you, as well as for recommendations on the split between now and later and the duration for the later portion.
Please follow these steps to deliver an extended bolus with your t:slim X2 insulin pump.
Deliver an extended bolus
1. From the Home screen, tap BOLUS.
2. Tap 0 grams (or 0 units).
3. Using the on-screen keypad enter grams of carb (or units of insulin). Tap [check mark].
4. If desired, tap Add BG and using the on-screen keypad enter a glucose value. Tap [check mark].
5. Tap [check mark] to confirm the units of insulin to be delivered.
You can always tap View Calculation to display the Delivery Calculation screen.
6. Confirm request.
- Tap [check mark] if entered data is correct.
- Tap [ X ] to go back to make changes or view calculations.
7. Tap EXTENDED to turn on the extended feature, then tap [check mark].
8. Tap 50% under DELIVER NOW to adjust the percentage of the food bolus that is to be delivered immediately.
The percentage value for DELIVER LATER is automatically calculated by the pump. The default is 50% NOW and 50% LATER. The default for DURATION is 2 hours.
9. Use the on-screen keypad to enter the percentage of the bolus to DELIVER NOW and tap [check mark].
For the DELIVER NOW portion, the minimum amount is .05 units. If the DELIVER NOW portion is less than .05 units, you will be notified and the DELIVER NOW portion will be set to .05 units.
The DELIVER LATER portion of the extended bolus also has minimum and maximum rates. If you program a DELIVER LATER rate outside of these limits, you are notified and the duration of the DELIVER LATER portion is adjusted.
10. Tap 2 hrs under DURATION.
11. Use the on-screen keypad to adjust the length of time the bolus is to be delivered, then tap [check mark].
12. Tap [check mark].
You can always tap View Units to display the breakdown of units to be delivered NOW versus LATER.
13. Confirm request.
Tap [check mark] if entered data is correct.
Tap [ X ] to go back to make changes or view calculations.
14. Tap [check mark].
15. The BOLUS INITIATED screen is temporarily displayed.
Only one extended bolus can be active at any given time. However, if the DELIVER LATER portion of an extended bolus is active, you can request another standard bolus.