The Extended Bolus feature allows you to deliver part of the bolus now and part of the bolus slowly over a period of time. This can be helpful for high-fat meals such as pizza or if you have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying).
When extending a bolus, any correction bolus amount will always be given in the DELIVER NOW portion. Talk with your healthcare provider to determine if this feature is appropriate for you, as well as for recommendations on the split between now and later and the duration for the later portion.
Please follow these steps to deliver an extended bolus with your t:slim X2 insulin pump. This feature is not yet available on the t:connect mobile app.
Deliver an Extended Bolus
1. Tap 0 grams to enter the carbs for the bolus.
Note: If this area reads “units,” the carb feature is turned off in the active profile.
2. Enter desired value. Be sure “grams” is displayed above keypad for food boluses. Tap the check mark to continue.
3. Tap the check mark to continue, then tap the check mark to confirm. Note that if an above-target blood glucose (BG) is entered, the correction bolus will not be extended. Also, if using Control-IQ technology, the current CGM reading may auto-populate to the bolus calculator. Please see the User Guide for more information.
4. Tap the toggler to the ON position to extend the bolus. Tap the check mark to continue.
5. Tap the check mark to use default settings or tap DELIVER NOW and DURATION and set the desired values, then tap the check mark to continue.
6. Tap the check mark to confirm. Please note that if Control-IQ technology is turned on, extended boluses are limited to two hours. Please see the User Guide for more information.
7. The delivery screen will confirm how much insulin will be delivered up front, how much will be delivered over time, and the delivery duration. Tap the check mark to start the bolus. The BOLUS INITIATED screen will appear to confirm delivery has started.
8. To cancel the undelivered portion of the bolus, tap "X" next to BOLUS on the Home screen, then tap the check mark to confirm canceled bolus.
Always refer to the User Guide for important safety information and detailed step-by-step instructions on how to deliver an extended bolus on your t:slim X2 pump. Please consult the applicable user guide and refer to the table of contents consult the applicable user guide and refer to the table of contents.