A bolus is insulin to cover the food you are about to eat or to correct a high glucose – or both.
Your t:slim X2 insulin pump offers you the ability to deliver different boluses to cover carbohydrate intake (food bolus) and bring your BG back to target (correction bolus). Food and correction boluses can also be programmed together.
The minimum bolus size is 0.05 units. The maximum bolus is entered under Pump Settings during initial pump setup. The most the pump will allow to be delivered at one time is 25 units. If you attempt to deliver a bolus that is larger than the amount of insulin in the cartridge, a message screen appears indicating that there is not enough insulin to deliver the bolus.
PRECAUTION: If the amount of insulin calculated by the pump does not seem right, or if your blood sugars are higher or lower than expected after bolusing, please consult with your health care provider and adjust personal profile settings as needed.
Please follow these steps to deliver a bolus with your t:slim X2 insulin pump.
Deliver a Bolus:
1. Tap 0 grams to enter the carbs for the user’s bolus.
Note: If this area reads “units,” the carb feature is turned off in the active profile.
2. Enter desired value. Be sure “grams” is displayed above keypad for food boluses. Tap the check mark to continue.
3. Tap Add BG to enter your blood glucose. Please note that if using Control-IQ technology, the current CGM reading may auto-populate to the bolus calculator. Please see the User Guide for more information.
4. Enter desired value. Be sure “mg/dL” is displayed above keypad when entering glucose (BG) values.
5. If a BG is entered that is below the target, but above 70 mg/dL, the option to reduce the bolus amount will appear. Tap the check mark to accept that reduction; otherwise, tap the X.
6. If desired, tap the calculated units value to manually adjust recommended dose. Tap the check mark to continue.
7. Verify the dose and tap the check mark to confirm.
Note: Calculations above are based on preset insulin-to-carb ratios and correction factors, which may be set in Personal Profiles.
8. Tap the check mark to deliver the food bolus immediately. The BOLUS INITIATED screen will appear to confirm delivery has started.
9. To cancel the undelivered portion of the bolus, tap "X" next to BOLUS on the Home screen, then tap the check mark to confirm canceled bolus.
Always refer to the User Guide for important safety information and detailed step-by-step instructions on how to deliver a bolus on your t:slim X2 pump. Please consult the applicable user guide and refer to the table of contents.